Within six days of the lynching of Northbrook Jute Mill CEO H K Maheshwari, at least three jute mills have issued suspension of work notices.
State labour minister Purnendu Bose visited the Northbrook Jute Mill today and pulled up the management for not keeping the state government in the loop about labour unrest.
Victoria Jute Mill at Bhadreswar announced its closure today, leaving 5,000 workers jobless, while Auckland jute mill at Jagaddal and the New Central Jute Mill at Budge Budge had put up suspension of work notice earlier this week.
Maheshwari was lynched by agitated workers Sunday when the management did not agree to their demands to extend working hours.
After meeting the mill owners and labour union members, Bose said: “The management should have informed the government about the issues going on in the mill. There are several procedures to manage a mill. We held meetings with the jute millers which faced lockout. And Northbrook was one of them. But it was never discussed that they would curtail working days. If they were facing excessive stock issues, they could have applied for a lay-off.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
Had the government been kept in the loop, we could have managed the situation earlier.”
“Moreover, the party which is ruling the country now and the party which has lost in the state have joined hands to trigger tension in the mill premises,” he added.