Amid a raging controversy over describing revolutionary leaders Khudiram Bose, Jatindranath Mukherjee and Prafulla Chaki as “extremists and terrorists” in school syllabus in West Bengal, the Congress and JD(U) Friday urged Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to drop the chapter from the textbook.
Terming it as an “insult to the nation”, Bihar Congress president Ashok Chaudhary, in a statement said, that the way sacrifice of Khudiram Bose was portrayed in the history textbook for Class VIII, it appeared that the West Bengal government “was deliberately insulting” people who sacrificed their life for the country.
“By describing their revolutionary contribution in the freedom struggle as act of terrorism, it seems they wish to confuse the younger generation and play with them,” the PCC chief said in a hard-hitting reaction.
He said Bose who was hanged at the age of 18 in 1908 in Muzaffarpur in Bihar, is revered by countrymen and many government institutions in Bihar and Bengal are named after him.
JD(U) legislator Neeraj Kumar wrote a letter to Mamata on Friday to draw her attention to the issue, a copy of which was made available to the press. Kumar, also a spokesman of JD(U), said it was natural for him to be pained as Chaki had met martyrdom in his native place Mokama in Patna district.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Kumar said people of Mokama observe Chaki’s martyrdom every year and a campaign is on to install his statue at the venue of his martyrdom within railway station premises in Mokama.
He urged Mamata to get the fact corrected in the syllabus and punish the officials responsible for this “wrong portrayal.”
Prafulla Chaki was one of the revolutionaries of the freedom struggle who along with Khudiram Bose had thrown a bomb on a carriage in Muzaffarpur on April 30, 1908 in which a British woman and her daughter were killed. Chaki was spotted at Mokama Ghat railway station after a few days and after a stand-off with the police, he killed himself with his own revolver there.
The history textbook in Bengal has a chapter titled ‘Krantikari Aatankvaad’ and includes the names of Bose, Chaki and Jatindranath Mukherjee.