Actor and Trinamool Congress MP Tapas Paul, under fire for allegedly threatening to shoot CPI-M supporters and rape their women, was admitted to a private nursing home in Kolkata following ‘high blood pressure’ late on Sunday.
The Opposition parties, however, claimed that it was an exercise undertaken by the actor-MP on orders of TMC supremo and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to avoid blushes in the Parliament where the budget session commenced Monday.
Doctors at the super-speciality Belle Vue clinic said the MP was admitted in an emergency condition Sunday night. “Paul was admitted with high blood pressure and high fever. He also had a chronic backache,” Pradip Tandon, CEO of the clinic told The Indian Express.
Dr Suddha Kalyan Paul who is looking after Paul said the actor-MP “is much better today”. He, however, could not say how long Paul would have to remain in the hospital.
“His blood pressure is under control and the fever has subsided. But more tests need to be done. We are not in a position to say when we can release him,” Dr Sudha Kalyan added.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
The Opposition parties in West Benga, however, said Paul’s illness was a drama being played at the behest of Mamata who has told her party MP to avoid Parliament for the time being.
“The illness is a drama…just to hoodwink people. Didi (Mamata) has told him to avoid Parliament and remain in hiding. He is doing that exactly. If he attends Parliament, he will have to face many questions,” state Congress chief Adhir Ranjan Chaudhury told The Indian Express.
Leader of Opposition in state Assembly and CPI-M politburo member Surya Kanta Mishra echoed Adhir. “One person was killed after Paul delivered that inflammatory speech, but the MP is roaming around freely. So far as his being admitted to hospital is concerned, Didi has asked him to do it. In fact, Didi herself does this often (getting admitted to hospital). The game is very clear,” Mishra said.
The Congress took out rallies in various parts of the state demanding Paul’s ouster from Parliament.
Meanwhile, at Choumaha village in Nadia where Paul had made the controversial speech on June 16, people are saying they are being threatened by the supporters of the ruling party. “We are getting threats from TMC supporters and we are feeling insecure. We demand that a police picket is set up in this village,” Rafiqul Islam, member of CPI-M Nakashipara zonal committee and a resident of the village told The Indian Express over phone.
Earlier, Paul had tendered an unconditional apology for allegedly threatening to kill CPI-M workers and having their women raped after he was asked by an embarrassed party leadership to do so.