Former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee Friday demanded exemplary punishment for the accused in the “barbaric act” of gang-rape of a 20-year-old tribal girl by 13 people on the order of a kangaroo court at Labhpur village in Birbhum district.
“We feel concerned and worried. We feel ashamed that such a barbaric thing has happened. I don’t know which way we are going! Exemplary punishment has to be given to those involved in such an act,” Chatterjee said.
He also said that it was unbelievable and unthinkable that the police had not asked for police remand of the 13 accused (yesterday).
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The chairman of the state women and child welfare department, A Sengupta, visited the victim in a Suri hospital today and said she was now stable.He also assured all sorts of help to the tribal girl from the government.
Sources in the Suri hospital said that the medical tests were being conducted on the gangrape victim. She was now stable and eating food.
The girl was gang-raped on the order of the kangaroo court when she had expressed her inability to pay Rs 50,000 demanded as fine for falling in love with a man from another community.