Former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee Friday demanded exemplary punishment for the accused in the “barbaric act” of gang-rape of a 20-year-old tribal girl by 13 people on the order of a kangaroo court at Labhpur village in Birbhum district.
“We feel concerned and worried. We feel ashamed that such a barbaric thing has happened. I don’t know which way we are going! Exemplary punishment has to be given to those involved in such an act,” Chatterjee said.
He also said that it was unbelievable and unthinkable that the police had not asked for police remand of the 13 accused (yesterday).
The chairman of the state women and child welfare department, A Sengupta, visited the victim in a Suri hospital today and said she was now stable.He also assured all sorts of help to the tribal girl from the government.
Sources in the Suri hospital said that the medical tests were being conducted on the gangrape victim. She was now stable and eating food.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The girl was gang-raped on the order of the kangaroo court when she had expressed her inability to pay Rs 50,000 demanded as fine for falling in love with a man from another community.