Six of the 12 persons named in the FIR registered in the murder of Northbrook Jute Mill CEO H K Maheshwari at Bhadrehwar in Hooghly have been arrested since last night.
Sources in the police said Md Azharuddin, Mukunda Gupta, Md Aslam, Bikash Tanti, Rabindra Sarkar and Swapan Gupta were produced in court today and other than Tanti, who was sent in jail custody of 14 days, the rest have been awarded a police custody of five days. The sections under which they have been charged are 120 (B), 302, 307, 326 and 147 of the IPC.
Maheswari was lynched by agitated mill workers Sunday when he rejected their demand for increase in weekly working hours so that they were paid more.
Among relatives of H K Maheshwari who have arrived for the last rites are his daughters Payal Pasaria and Anjali Lakhotia and their husbands. His two brothers, P K Maheshwari and J K Maheshwari, have also reached.
“His (Maheshwari’s) son who is in Chicago would reach today at 9.30 pm. The last rites would be performed at Babughat tomorrow morning,” said Pradeep Pasaria, one of Maheshwari’s sons-in-law.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
He also said the family would appeal to the government and administration for speedy justice.
District Trinamool Congress president Tapan Dasgupta, TMC MLA of Champdani Muzaffar Khan and Champdani municipality chairman Suresh Mishra visited Maheshwari’s family during the day.
“The CM gave a statement in the assembly that those involved in this incident, irrespective of their political affiliations, would be booked,” said Khan and added that the BJP-backed Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh (BMS) and Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) were behind the killing in order to malign the reputation of the state government that has maintained a harmonious relationship across all industries.
State BJP general secretary Samik Bhattacharya along with a team of BJP workers spoke to mill workers and also met the family members of the deceased.
Responding to the allegations of the state government, he said, “There is no BJP labour wing in the first place. Besides, BMS leader Rajendra Yadav was not in town for the last 10 days or so.”
He added: “What the ruling party is doing can only be termed as cheap politics. We want an unbiased and speedy probe into the matter. “
Tapan Dasgupta termed the BJP team’s visit a drama. “They have killed Maheshwari and now they come to put up a drama here,” he said.
Meanwhile, the company has put up a “supension of work with immediate effect” notice at the mill gate citing labour unrest. A few mill workers present outside were reluctant to talk. Many of them who stay in the vicinity have left their home since last night fearing arrest. “My husband works at the mill. He has left this place,” said the wife of a mill worker who lives in a slum behind the mill.