More than six months after he was put on compulsory wait pending posting —- considered a form of punishment —- former Siliguri police commissioner K Jayaraman was Friday posted as DIG, modernisation and co-ordination.
The decision was announced by the state government after Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee okayed the reshuffle in IPS cadre in which 54 senior officers from the rank of IG to Additional Superintendent of Police, including Jayaraman, were transferred.
Jayaraman was suspended on November 30, hours after he had arrested then District Magistrate of Malda G Kiran Kumar for his alleged involvement in a financial scam involving the Siliguri Jalpaiguri Development Authority when he was the chief executive officer there. “This (the arrest) was highly embarrassing. We feel that the arrest of the Malda district magistrate was not required and the Siliguri CP had exceeded his brief,” Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra had then said announcing and justifying the government action against Jayaraman.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Mitra had said the Jayaraman had failed to inform and take permission from the state administration “before taking any action against the senior officer.” Contacted, Jayaraman, who during the compulsory wait period had even decided to apply for central deputation, and was allotted a small, dingy room at Writers’ Building without any job, said he had taken things in good stride.
“I am neither happy nor sad. I am an officer of the state government and I will have to obey its orders. However my new assignment is also good. It is a good posting,” Jayaraman said. Before being suspended Jayaraman’s team had been grilling politicians such as Siliguri Trinamool MLA Rudranath Bhattacharya, former SJDA chairman, and Chandan Bhowmik, Trinamool’s Jalpaiguri district chief, for their alleged involvement in the scam.