Poll panel may move court over security,‘foul play’ in nomination

Panel keeping tab on withdrawals,places where elections may go uncontested.

Written by Express News Service | Kolkata | Published: June 11, 2013 4:12 am

The State Election Commissioner (SEC) said it might move court if adequate security was not made available during the poll process of the forthcoming panchayat elections.

“The SEC might exercise its right under section 137 (2) of removing the difficulties in a smooth election process,” said a senior SEC official.

SEC secretary Tapas Ray said the commission was looking into cases where a large number of uncontested elections was likely.

“If the commission thinks that there was a possible foul play,it might move court as well,” he said. He also said the commission would enter the poll process only it was cent per cent sure of the security arrangements.

The High Court had instructed the state to get adequate forces and the SEC,if unsatisfied,might ask the court to conduct the election in five or six phases instead of the proposed three.

Asked if the SEC was satisfied with the security arrangements so far,Ray said,“Looking at the cases of violence and the number of complaints that are coming in,we have doubts about the security being adequate. The Commission will soon come up with its decision about what it intends to do regarding the security issue,” said while referring to the cases of violence today at Birbhum and Cooch Behar.

“CPM and BJP candidates had complained that they could not submit their nominations because of the resistance put up. The SEC would provide them with escorts to help them file their nominations,” he said.

One killed,13 injured in clashes

BURDWAN: Clashes between rival political parties left one dead and 13 injured in two districts Monday. CPM ‘miscreants’ attacked a procession of the Trinamool Congress at Chetna village in Galsi police station area,Superintendent of Police S M H Mirza said. Mirza said one person,Madan Soren,belonging to the CPM was killed and 12 others were injured in the clash in which bombs and arrows were used. Of the 12 injured seven belonged to the TMC and five to the CPM. I

Attack on journos: WBHRC seeks report

Kolkata: West Bengal Human Rights Commission Monday took suo motu cognizance of the last week’s journalists’ attack in Barrackpore. “WBSHRC had asked an ADG-rank officer of the commission to inquire into the matter and submit a report within two weeks,” Sujay Haldar,a senior official of WBHRC said. Three cameramen of local TV channels were attacked last week by people holding Trinamool Congress flags at Barrackpore. PTI

For all the latest Kolkata News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results