In a possible thaw in relations, Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal is expected to meet Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday at the state secretariat at Nabanna on Thursday. This would be the first time a union minister of the new central government will meet the CM.
Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani is also expected to meet Mamata on July 4.
Goyal will reportedly attend a Coal India meeting before meeting Mamata. A week ago, state finance minister Amit Mitra, in his pre-budget meeting with union finance minister Arun Jaitley in Delhi, had sought relief for debt-ridden West Bengal.
Goyal has visited Maharashtra and Punjab to assess the power situation there. While an aide of the union minister confirmed Goyal’s visit to Bengal tomorrow, state power minister Manish Gupta said he was clueless about it. “What you have told me is news to me. Had it got anything to do with power, I would have been informed,” Gupta today told The Indian Express. Officials of his department, too, said they were unaware of the meet between Goyal and Mamata.
The state BJP also said they are not informed of Goyal’s visit. “We have not yet received any information from our central leadership,’’ Shamik Bhattacharya, party state general secretary, told The Indian Express. While chief minister of Orissa Naveen Patnaik and his Tamil Nadu counterpart Jayalalithaa have already met Modi, Mamata is yet to do so.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More