Just hours after a Danish woman was gang aped in Delhi, Olympic medal-winning boxer MC Mary Kom raised concerns about safety of women in the country.
“Nowadays women are not really safe. So I would urge them to have some kind of physical training to prevent sexual assaults, because you need to be strong and fit to fight the attackers. I would also tell them to fight sexual offence without fear,” said the boxer who won a bronze medal in the women’s flyweight category in the 2012 London Olympics.
‘Magnificent Mary’, who is also a five-time World Boxing champion, said she faced a sexual attack when she was 18 but had managed to knock the offender out.
“I was just 18 and was going to church on a Sunday. I was wearing a traditional wraparound dress and took a rickshaw because I was a little late. Suddenly the rickshaw puller caught my hand and tried to molest me. He got a kick and a punch and fell flat. I managed to take him on because I was fit and strong. But that incident taught me a lesson that as a woman, I’ve to be very alert all the time and must have courage (to fight the odds),” said Mary Kom, who paid a visit to the city today to take part in an interactive session organised by the FICCI Ladies Organisation.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Incidentally, Mary Kom recently launched a mobile application that will teach self-defence and will offer tips to fight sexual attacks.
Olympic silver medal-winning shooter Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, too, was present on the occasion and said change has become “imperative”.
Rathore, who started his political career by joining the BJP last year, said: “I’ve joined politics because I like challenges. I believe change is coming and I want to be a part of the change.”
Asked about the former India captain Sourav Ganguly reportedly being approached by the BJP, he said: “Sourav is a born fighter. Whatever he will do will be his decision.”