Party upset as Mamata minister ‘joins’ Swachh Bharat mission

On Sinha’s participation, his ministerial colleague and party spokesperson Partha Chatterjee said he would look into the matter.

Written by Sabyasachi Bandopadhyay | Kolkata | Published: November 25, 2014 5:16 am
CM Mamata Banerjee expressed her anger over her party member following Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. (Source: Reuters photo) CM Mamata Banerjee expressed her anger over her party member following Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. (Source: Reuters photo)

The day when West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee hit the streets against the Centre, her minister Chandranath Sinha was seen taking up the broom and sweeping a road as part of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s pet Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.

While Sinha’s participation has raised eyebrows within Trinamool Congress, the Minister for Fisheries asserted that he was misled by the organisers of the cleanliness progamme at Bolpur in Birbhum district. On Monday, he was photographed sweeping a street along with former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee and a few other local leaders.

“I was told the programme was for controlling the traffic in the town, and when I went there I was handed over the broom. But, I did not know it was a Swachh Bharat Abhiyan programme. I was taken off-guard. But I will definitely give them a thorough dressing down,’’ Sinha told The Indian Express.

The event was organised by an NGO based in Kolkata.

Meanwhile, after joining the cleanliness mission, Chatterjee said, “This is one programme of Modi which I support wholeheartedly. At present, I am not keeping very well, but whenever I come out on some occasion I am appalled to see the condition at both Bolpur and Shantiniketan. They have become so dirty.. such filth and squalor littered around in Shantiniketan alone. Had Gurudev (Rabindranath Tagore) been alive I don’t know what he had said. If just 1 per cent of the Indian population takes the programme seriously, India will be much cleaner.’’

For all the latest Kolkata News, download Indian Express App

1. B
    bluesky
    Nov 25, 2014 at 1:31 am
    whts wrong with the minister....cleaning india is not Modi's patent ....Cleanliness is imp u stupid TMC
    (0)(0)
      Anurag Srivastava
      Nov 25, 2014 at 6:06 am
      Didi's days are numbered. How long rhetoric will work? In the Burdwan Blast case we have seen on TV that the West Bengal Police are arresting people. Then how can you that it was pre-planned by BJP. There was no CBI there. Why are you afraid of CBI, ultimate decision has to be taken by the judiciary.
      (0)(0)
        sekhars
        Nov 25, 2014 at 4:25 am
        Vinas kare viprit budhi. Didi is self destructive and losing pority against much more savvy Modi and his brigade. Mamta time is coming to a premature end. After leftist it is her to go.
        (0)(0)
          DS Gopalan
          Nov 25, 2014 at 8:12 am
          I am happy that TMC Mr Partha Chatterjee has taken the correct stand regarding cleanliness..Why does any other party link this with PM? This is a national issue and as such should be propagated as such. Just because Mr Narasimha Rao ( ex PM of Congress ) started the economic reforms does not mean all other parties should give reforms a go by . A good initiative is a good initiative.
          (0)(0)
            KSV SUBRAMANIAN
            Nov 25, 2014 at 8:19 am
            He can now start a "ha Bharat Abhiyan to placate TMC boss and litter and spread filth every where. TMC boss and other members will be very pleased..
            (0)(0)