Over 70 fall ill after chlorine gas leak in city

Panic gripped Chitpur in northern outskirts of Kolkata on Thursday evening when at least 70 people fell ill after inhaling chlorine gas that leaked from a cylinder in a godown at Kali Prasanna Singha Road.

Written by Express News Service | Kolkata | Published:March 15, 2013 2:33 am

Panic gripped Chitpur in northern outskirts of Kolkata on Thursday evening when at least 70 people fell ill after inhaling chlorine gas that leaked from a cylinder in a godown at Kali Prasanna Singha Road.

Around 4 pm,as the cylinders were being loaded on a Haldia-bound truck from a godown of a private transport company,the safety seal of one of the cylinders came off leading to the gas leak.

The people in the vicinity started facing breathing problems and severe irritation in their eyes. The affected persons were admitted to R G Kar Hospital and another private hospital in Bagbazar.

Till late in the evening,sources said 37 people remained admitted at R G Kar,while another three at the private hospital. There was no report of fatality,said police.

After the reports of gas leak,officials of the Fire and Emergency Services reached the spot and managed to seal the cylinder. “A complaint will be filed against the transport company — Associated Road Carrier,” said senior fire official Gaur Prasad Bose. Police said,action will be taken against the “offenders”. “We are looking into the matter and no offender will be spared,” said Deputy Commissioner (North) Gaurav Sharma.

The owner of the transport company — B L Sharma — was not available for comment.

Video of the day

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results