Mamata Banerjee government began a crackdown on senior Gorkha Janmukti Morcha leaders in the Hills, a day after the GJM announced it will support SS Ahluwalia – the BJP candidate from Darjeeling.
While GJM’s central committee member Bimal Dorjee was arrested in a 2008 case today, government lawyers on the day opposed the anticipatory bail plea filed by GJM chief Bimal Gurung, chief of Nari Morcha Asha Gurung and GJM general secretary Roshan Giri in connection with an attempt to murder case filed by the security guard of deceased Gorkha League leader Madan Tamang.
“We will appeal to the higher court in this regard,” said Taranga Pandit, chief of the GJM legal cell.
“The case is an offshoot of the Madan Tamang murder case. Bimal and Asha Gurung’s name were not mentioned in the FIR. However, their names were included in the chargesheet. The security guard of Madan Tamang was shot at before he was killed. It was an attempt to murder case and CID was investigating it,” Pandit added.
Meanwhile, GJM held an emergency meeting today to discuss the “pressure tactics” applied by the state government.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The state government came down heavily on the Morcha leaders and workers in September last year when they had called an indefinite strike that continued for 40 days. More than 2,000 Morcha men, including senior leaders and GTA members, were arrested in the crackdown. However, some of them were later granted bail after Bimal Gurung rejoined as the chief executive in January.
A senior police officer from the district said the arrests were made in pursuance of the orders of the Election Commission to execute pending warrants and added there are 1,000 warrants pending in the district.
A senior GJM leader Prabha Cherti said the arrest was politically motivated.