One person was killed and two critically injured in a factional clash between the ruling Trinamool Congress supporters at Mahutpur village in Hooghly district, police said Thursday.
As per the police, the clashes took place late on Wednesday night when around 15 TMC supporters, owing allegiance to a faction led by local party leader Sheikh Sahabuddin, attacked the supporters of another local leader, Tapan Mondal, at TMC office in Mahutpur village.
Sahabuddin’s supporters were armed with rods and sticks.
At least 12 of the injured were taken to Arambagh Hospital where nine were released after first aid while three — Shyamal Ghosh, Jhantu Ray and Naresh Ray — were be admitted with serious injuries. Later in the night, Naresh’s condition deteriorated and he was referred to a government hospital in Kolkata. He died while being taken to Kolkata.
Contacted Sunil Kumar Chowdhury, SP, Hooghly, said, “There had been an incident of violence last night in which one person was killed and two others injured. The incident had not yet been linked to any political party. Police have started an investigation and one person has been arrested.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
A heavy police force has been deployed to tackle any fresh instances of violence.
Sources said, the problem began about a week ago when the members of the two TMC factions got engaged in a fracas over fishing at a pond in the area. Mondal’s men had filed a police complaint at Goghat police station following which some of Sahabuddin’s men were arrested. After getting bail, the latter’s group was looking for an opportunity to hit back.
District TMC president Tapan Dasgupta, however, claimed that it was not a factional clash, but an attack by “CPM and BJP”. “There had been no group clash here. Our men had been attacked by joint forces of CPM and BJP. Police is looking into the matter and we believe the offenders would be soon brought to the books,” he said.
The latest incident of violence comes two days after several BJP and CPM supporters were injured in a clash with TMC supporters at Basirhat’s Sandeshkhali in North-24 Parganas.