The Trinamool Congress Thursday dismissed claims that it has reached an understanding with the BJP in Rajya Sabha where the NDA does not have majority.
“There is no basis in it,” TMC General Secretary Mukul Roy said, referring to CPM leader Mohammad Selim’s remark.
Selim, a Lok Sabha MP and CPM’s central committee member had, while reacting to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s praise for Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Wednesday, told a local TV channel that it (the praise) was aimed at enlisting TMC’s support in the Rajya Sabha, adding that the two parties have reached an understanding.
“I would not like to reply to what he has said. They (CPM) have been rejected by the people in the elections. They have become irrelevant as a political force,” said Roy, who is the chairman of TMC Parliamentary Party in the Lok Sabha.
“Centre and state relationship is a different matter while political opposition is another. We will go by our own policies. We are neither with the BJP-led NDA nor with the Congress. This was our stand in the last Parliament as well (during the Congress-led UPA regime),” he said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
At present, the TMC has 34 representatives in the Lok Sabha and 12 in the Rajya Sabha. “We will play the role of a constructive Opposition. We will support decisions if we find them to be in people’s interest and oppose those against them,” Roy clarified.
He pointed out that TMC supported the former UPA-II government on several constitutional amendment bills, including the one related to judicial appointment, just as it opposed legislations such as the Food Security Bill, the Land Acquisition Bill and the bill to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh.
He responded to Modi’s praise of Mamata for “undoing the damage done in the past 35 years in Bengal” by asking if anyone can “deny the tireless efforts that she has undertaken to develop the state”.