City-based industrialist and owner of Ambuja Neotia group, Harshavardhan Neotia, is all set to launch his own private university here called Neotia University on Diamond Harbour Road in South-24 Parganas on Thursday.
The Neotia University, established by an Act of the West Bengal Assembly in February 2015, is the fifth private university in the state after Techno India University in Salt Lake, Seacom Skills University in Santiniketan, Adamas University in Barasat and JIS University in Agarpara, North 24-Parganas.
The real estate tycoon Neotia would be the chancellor of the university.
- What does autonomy mean for Panjab University?
- Pankaj Patel elected Ficci President for 2017
- Keshubhai Patel reappointed as chairman of Somnath Trust
- Reforms undertaken by the Modi government to show results now: Harshavardhan Neotia
- Mamata Banerjee: Land acquisition not to be a problem for projects in hand in West Bengal
- Realty goes to bend in the river to stay afloat
The university would come up at a 50-acre campus at Sarisa with 500 faculty members. This will be the only private institution in Bengal that would offer M.Tech programmes in Robot Manufacturing and Automotive Manufacturing with an emphasis on manufacturing competence.
Significantly, the bills for setting up two private universities —Neotia University and JIS University — were placed before the state legislative assembly in the Winter Session and were passed in February, 2015. The state government appointed a committee to examine the financial and infrastructure related resources of the two groups before giving them clearance.
When contacted, state education minister Partha Chatterjee said, “We received the proposals for setting up the universities. And after examining the proposals, we tabled the bills in the Assembly. In February, those bills were passed.”