Seeking foreign investment in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee arrived in Singapore Monday, her first overseas visit after taking office.
Mamata, who is accompanied by state Finance Minister Amit Mitra, industrialist Sanjay Budhia, Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra and others including actor-turned-MP Dipak Adhikary aka Dev, is visiting the city state on the invitation of Singapore Minister for Foreign Affairs K Shanmugam.
Mamata, who is on a five-day visit, will call on Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong Tuesday, Singapore foreign ministry said.
The Chief Minister will be the Guest of Honour and deliver a keynote address at the West Bengal Business Forum on August 20. The Forum is organised by Singapore Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (SICCI), with the partnership of state-trade agency IE Singapore, the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCCI).
Meanwhile, Amit Mitra met the top brass of Singapore-based global investment firm GIC to attract investments for Bengal. GIC is one of the world’s largest global investors. “We met the top brass of GIC and the meeting is fruitful,” Mitra told a TV channel over phone from Singapore.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
He said the GIC team consisted of 11 members, including managing director, analysts, PE fund managers, economists among others while from the state government several officials including the Chief Secretary was present.
The minister indicated that there was a positive vibe from GIC’s end and some announcement could be made by them to evaluate projects and go ahead if found bankable.
“Representative of companies from the state including Krush Grant of ITC were in the meeting which lasted for over an hour,” Mitra said.
Mamata intends to use her visit to Singapore, one of Asia’s financial hubs, to attract foreign investment, Mitra had said ahead of the visit.
The business delegation accompanying the Chief Minister, who assumed office in 2011, includes representatives from sectors like energy, real estate, hospitality, entertainment, manufacturing sector, tea, civil aviation and IT among others.