In a move widely seen as an effort to boost morale of the men in uniform, the Mamata Banerjee government is going to give away medals to six senior IPS officers of the state police for their outstanding contribution to the force. The medals will be given away on August 15 during the state government’s I-Day celebrations at Red Road.
The officials who are going to receive the honour from the Chief Minister include Kolkata police commissioner Surajit Kar Purokayastha, Rajiv Kumar, ADG, Commissioner, Bidhan Nagar Police, SMH Mirza, SP, Burdwan, Bharati Ghosh, SP, West Midnapore police, Devendra Pratap Singh, DCP, Central district, Kolkata police and Siddhinath Gupta, IG, western range. This apart, four top bureaucrats—Moloy Dey, principal secretary, health and family welfare; Sourav Das, principal secretary, panchayat and rural development; Roshni Sen, principal secretary, child and women develpment and Rajib Sinha, principal secretary, MSMEs—will also be felicitated during the function.
The officials will be given medals and citations. There will be no cash award for them, according to an official of the state government.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
While the central government gives away police medals on the occasion of Republic Day, the state government gives away medals to officials for distinguished service during investiture ceremonies organised by state and Kolkata Police.
Though Independence Day celebrations of the state government was introduced by Mamata Banerjee three years back, this is the first time she will give away medals to police officials during the function.
Apart from the policemen, a few departments and districts will also be awarded for their outstanding performance.
This year’s celebration will also witness another first: showering of flower petals by a helicopter during hoisting of the flag by the Chief Minister.
There will be march past by personnel of the state and Kolkata police and by children of eight schools from Kolkata and the districts.