Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday defended Birbhum Trinamool Congress district president Anubrata Mondal — the prime accused in the Sagar Ghosh murder case in which the Calcutta High Court has ordered constitution of a Special Investigation Team — terming him a “sincere leader” and a “capable organiser in the party”.
“There are people who are trying to conspire against him, but I know he does good work,” said Mamata while addressing a worker’s meeting at Durgapur.
She added: “You will have to understand that he does not keep very well. He is suffering from a disease. But he works and carries an oxygen cylinder. We have to view the issue with a humanitarian touch.”
Significantly, the HC Friday formed a five-member team led by Director General of Police G N P Reddy to investigate into the murder case. Sagar Ghosh, father of Hridoy Ghosh, a Trinamool Congress leader who fought the panchayat elections as an Independent candidate defying Mondal’s diktat, was murdered last year.
Mamata’s support for Mondal has triggered a political controversy with the Opposition parties saying the Chief Minister was yet again trying to shield Mondal.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
WBPCC president Adhir Choudhury said, “The Chief Minister is trying to send a signal to officers who would be investigating the case following the direction of the court. When a Chief Minister in an open meeting has called (Mondal) sincere, then can police collect evidence against him. This is her message to her officers.”
Former CPM MP Mohammad Selim said, “The election is here and her (Mamata) party needs leaders like him. She does not care about courts.” Meanwhile, the five-member SIT Saturday reached Birbhum where it was handed over case diaries and other documents by the CID.
The SIT on the day also interrogated five persons who have been arrested in connection with the murder case.