Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday announced the nomination of veteran actor Mithun Chakraborty as Trinamool Congress (TMC) candidate for the upcoming Rajya Sabha polls. The party is yet to decide about four other seats for which candidates would be nominated.
“In our state, five Rajya Sabha members will be elected this time. One of these seats will be given to Mithun Chakraborty from All India Trinamool Congress,” Banerjee wrote in her Facebook post.
“Chakraborty is a well-known film personality. He has devoted his life to the cause of cultural and social activities with great success. He is an asset not only of West Bengal, but also of the country. We are proud to nominate him,” she added.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
The National Award winning film actor was awarded Banga Bibhusan — a civilian award by the state government in 2013. The Rajya Sabha polls for 55 seats is scheduled February 7 and the last date of filing nomination papers is January 28.
The Trinamool Congress may field candidates in all the five seats for the upcoming Rajya Sabha polls, said party General Secretary Mukul Roy in the official party website.
When contacted Mukul Roy said, “We are yet to decide on four other candidates. The election committee meeting would be held tomorrow, after which we might take a call on other candidates.” Meanwhile, names of some academicians from the state are also doing the rounds. However, the party is yet to clear the names, said a party source.