Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday announced the nomination of veteran actor Mithun Chakraborty as Trinamool Congress (TMC) candidate for the upcoming Rajya Sabha polls. The party is yet to decide about four other seats for which candidates would be nominated.
“In our state, five Rajya Sabha members will be elected this time. One of these seats will be given to Mithun Chakraborty from All India Trinamool Congress,” Banerjee wrote in her Facebook post.
“Chakraborty is a well-known film personality. He has devoted his life to the cause of cultural and social activities with great success. He is an asset not only of West Bengal, but also of the country. We are proud to nominate him,” she added.
The National Award winning film actor was awarded Banga Bibhusan — a civilian award by the state government in 2013. The Rajya Sabha polls for 55 seats is scheduled February 7 and the last date of filing nomination papers is January 28.
The Trinamool Congress may field candidates in all the five seats for the upcoming Rajya Sabha polls, said party General Secretary Mukul Roy in the official party website.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
When contacted Mukul Roy said, “We are yet to decide on four other candidates. The election committee meeting would be held tomorrow, after which we might take a call on other candidates.” Meanwhile, names of some academicians from the state are also doing the rounds. However, the party is yet to clear the names, said a party source.