Cheif Minister Mamata Banerjee Wednesday announced the creation of Alipurduar as a new district by bifurcating the Jalpaiguri district. Once the legal and technical issues are resolved, Alipurduar, which was a sub-division of Jalpaiguri, will become the twentieth district of West Bengal.
“The process for bifurcation of Jalpaiguri district is complete from our side. We are now waiting for the judicial ascent,” Mamata said while addressing an administrative meeting at Madarihat in Jalpaiguri district.
She said, work is on to set up a circuit bench of Calcutta High Court at Jalpaiguri. “We are developing the infrastructure in this area to give a boost to tourism,” she said, before adding that ‘crab mentality’ of the Opposition parties was affecting the growth and development of north Bengal.
“There are several countries which thrive on tourism alone. We have all the ingredients to become a tourist destination. What we need is will. We have so much natural beauty, but owing to crab mentality among some, there is an attempt to bring down any effort to do something good,” she said.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
“North Bengal has been neglected for long. Petty politics has affected its growth,” Mamata said adding that she would ensure its all-round development. She also showered some sops on Jalpaiguri — the TMC romped home in both the constituencies in the district in the Lok Sabha election.
She said August 14 would be observed as ‘Kanyashree Dibas’. “We will conduct a registration drive across the state. Already 8.5 lakh girls have been brought under the Kanyashree scheme. Our target this year is to register 16 lakh girls,” she said.