Cheif Minister Mamata Banerjee Wednesday announced the creation of Alipurduar as a new district by bifurcating the Jalpaiguri district. Once the legal and technical issues are resolved, Alipurduar, which was a sub-division of Jalpaiguri, will become the twentieth district of West Bengal.
“The process for bifurcation of Jalpaiguri district is complete from our side. We are now waiting for the judicial ascent,” Mamata said while addressing an administrative meeting at Madarihat in Jalpaiguri district.
She said, work is on to set up a circuit bench of Calcutta High Court at Jalpaiguri. “We are developing the infrastructure in this area to give a boost to tourism,” she said, before adding that ‘crab mentality’ of the Opposition parties was affecting the growth and development of north Bengal.
“There are several countries which thrive on tourism alone. We have all the ingredients to become a tourist destination. What we need is will. We have so much natural beauty, but owing to crab mentality among some, there is an attempt to bring down any effort to do something good,” she said.
“North Bengal has been neglected for long. Petty politics has affected its growth,” Mamata said adding that she would ensure its all-round development. She also showered some sops on Jalpaiguri — the TMC romped home in both the constituencies in the district in the Lok Sabha election.
She said August 14 would be observed as ‘Kanyashree Dibas’. “We will conduct a registration drive across the state. Already 8.5 lakh girls have been brought under the Kanyashree scheme. Our target this year is to register 16 lakh girls,” she said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More