GOALPARA IN Chanchal area of Malda has been tense since Thursday after around 70 live bombs were discovered in a bush next to a mango grove. Since then, police have discovered 12 bags of bombs. Sources said the discovery is linked to two rival groups active in the area that have seen one dead in the past weeks.
While the bombs were diffused, police said a resident of Goalpara was the first to discover the bag filled with bombs. “He informed other villagers and the police were called in,” said a senior police officer. Chanchal Sub-Divisional Police Officer Abhishek Majumdar said: “An investigation has been started to ascertain the bombs belong to whom… We are determined to restore law and order in the area.”
Like Jadupur and Mojampur in Malda’s Kaliachak, Chandrapara and Goalpara areas in Chanchal have often been in news for gang wars between Ruhul Amin alias Junior and Kubed Ali. Locals alleged that the two alleged gang leaders change political affiliations as per the prevailing scenario. “Previously, when one of the gang leaders was under the shelter of CPM, the other was in the Congress camp. But recently, both are claiming to be with the Trinamool Congress,” said a local, who didn’t wish to be named.
Dr Moazzem Hossain, the district Trinamool president, however, denied any political connection to either of the two gang leaders.
Chanchal, the BJP has alleged, was one of the areas in Bengal affected by communal violence. In a report, which the state BJP had sent to the Union Ministry of Home Affairs, the party alleged that houses and shops of Hindus were attacked by Muslims during Muharram earlier this month at Chanchal and Kaligram areas. The ruling Trinamool Congress, however, has maintained that the matter was the fallout of “personal enmity”.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
But gang wars, police said, are a problem in the area.
On October 21, one Tasiur Rahman (33) was killed allegedly while manufacturing bombs. Mohammed Tuku Sheikh, the uncle of the deceased, has since alleged that some criminals of Junior’s camp killed Tasiur. “Tuku Sheikh was also attacked with sharp weapons by some miscreants the very next day. He is under treatment in Malda Medical College and Hospital now,” said a police officer.