As part of the Trinamool Congress’ Lok Sabha preparations, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee will hold a Sikshan Shibir (training camp) in Durgapur on February 15 where she will spell out the guidelines — “the dos and don’ts” — to party cadres, especially the youths.
“People from all the wings of the party — students, labour front, minorities — will attend the convention,” Moloy Ghatak, Minister for Agriculture and one of the organisers of the convention, told The Indian Express.
Ghatak says the convention will be an opportunity for the youth cadres to know about the “dark days of the Left (Front) rule”.
“They did not see the dark days, (don’t know) how we fought the red terror to survive, to keep our (party) flag aloft. Didi will apprise them (using slideshows) of party strategy, its relationship with other parties in the state and at the Centre, and of the state and the country’s current situation. The idea is to unite them to fight for the party,” Ghatak said.
With the party’s entire top brass to be present at the convention, the organisers expect more than one lakh people to attend the shibir, which will run from 10 am to 1 pm. Besides the CM, other speakers will include Minister for Information Technology Partha Chatterjee, party state president Subrata Bakshi, and party general secretary Mukul Roy.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
At the convention, Mamata will also launch the anti-corruption forum of the party — Fight For India — and will also exhort party members to set examples for other people with the motto of ‘plain living and high thinking’.
Party members, meanwhile, seem prepared to rally behind their chief, and are enthusiastic about the convention.
“We want to see Didi as the country’s prime minister. Even if that does not happen, we are at least sure our party will be in a decisive position before any government is formed at the Centre. We will work towards that goal, and at this point, Didi’s directives are necessary,’’ Apurba Mukherjee, party MLA from Durgapur Paschim, said.
Some leaders also said that the CM, if necessary, will assign responsibilities to the members and may even go for re-structuring of the youth wing and the labour wing of the party.
Organisers said Mamata’s lecture at the convention will later be distributed to party members in form of CDs.
This is the first time that the Trinamool Congress will hold such a camp for its general cadres.