Eleven people were killed, including nine at one spot, in lightning strikes at different places in West Bengal Thursday.
In the first incident, nine persons were killed on the spot and five injured when lightning struck a temple at Kolia village where they were taking shelter during rain at Shyampur in Howrah district, police said.
All 14 residents of Ghoshpur and nearby villages, had come to work for a project under MGNREGA at Kolia village, police said, adding that the injured people have been admitted to Uluberia Hospital.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
In another incident in Jhargram, one Bharati Bhakta (38) of Chaltaberia village of Malam gram panchayat under Nayagram police station area died in the field, where she was working when lightning struck her this afternoon, police said. Six others, who were working at the same field along with Bharati, were injured and stated to be critical when rushed to a local health care unit, they said.
In Purnapani, TMC worker Kishori Mahato (56) died at the spot when lightning struck him on his way back home from party office, police added.