CPM leader Tapas Chatterjee on Wednesday joined the Trinamool Congress in presence of party secretary general Partha Chatterjee and TMC leader Abhishek Banerjee, minutes after which he was expelled from the Left party.
Tapas, who was chairman of Rajarhat-Gopalpur Municipality in North-24 Parganas, accused the CPM of moving away from the basic ideology of communism.
- Bengal panchayat elections: TMC ‘miffed’ with Kolkata Mayor, makes Subrata Bakshi poll observer
- Rajya Sabha candidates file nomination: Anti-BJP votes should not get split, says Abhishek Manu Singhvi
- Post Tripura defeat: State CPM calls for unison of all anti-Trinamool, anti-BJP forces
- Mamata’s ‘Robin Hood’ who now finds himself on wrong side of TMC
- CPM veteran Jyoti Basu’s bust dismantled, found in a roadside ditch
- Trinamool,CPM men clash in Rajarhat
“I want to take part in the developmental process initiated by Mamata Banerjee. CPM has moved away from the basic core ideologies of communism. I don’t want to be part of that party,” Tapas said during a press conference here.
Handing over the TMC flag to the former CPM leader, Partha said many councillors along with about 5,000 CPM supporters have joined the TMC. “His entry will only strengthen the party,” he added.
Terming Tapas as a ‘traitor’, CPM secretary of North-24 Parganas, Gautam Deb said he was expelled from the party for his close connection with the TMC. “Tapas Chatterjee has been expelled from the party for his proximity with the TMC leadership of North-24 Parganas. Keeping secret connection with a party like TMC is the work of a traitor, according to our party rules,” Deb said, adding that earlier too they had received complaints of Tapas holding secret meetings with TMC leaders.
Tapas’s entry into the TMC has also set off many speculations whether he would replace TMC MLA from Rajarhat-New Town, Sabyasachi Dutta for his loyalty towards estranged party leader Mukul Roy. “The party is looking for a replacement of Sabyasachi, especially after the recent clashes with his supporters and those of Barasat MP Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar. Tapas might also be pitched as the TMC MLA candidate in place of Dutta in the Assembly elections next year,” a senior TMC leader said.