At a meeting conducted at state secretariat Nabanna on Monday, the state cabinet gave the green signal for four new all-women police stations to be set up in the city.
These police stations will come up in Karaya, Behala, Ultadanga and Taltala.
“There will be 41 new posts created for these police stations,” sources at the Nabanna said. Dinhata police station in Coochbehar district would be bifurcated and a new one, Sahebganj police station, will be set up.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
What what else is in the news
Currently, the city has four all-women police stations at Tollygunge, Watgunge, Patuli and Amherst Street, and with Monday’s decision, the number will go up to eight. “These police stations like the four others will exclusively investigate crimes against women and focus particularly on dowry and domestic violence cases, abduction and sexual offences,” a senior state minister, who was present at the meeting, said.
City police stations have three female police personnel each — two constables and a sub-inspector. Women personnel have also been deployed at the radio flying squad that is stationed at night to respond to any crimes against women.
The state government has set a target of setting up 65 all-women police stations across the state.
WITH PTI inputs