A 35-year-old youth and his mother were allegedly lynched by their neighbours at Keota Lenin Nagar area of Hooghly district, under Chinsurah police station, late Saturday night.
The youth, Gopal Majumder, had a criminal background and was charged in several cases such as robbery and murder. He had been released on bail recently, and was returning home after drinking with his friends when some neighbours started a brawl over his inebriation. He was hit with bamboo sticks and stones, and when his mother Asha Majumder tried to intervene, she too was beaten up.
“While Gopal’s body was found in a drain, his mother’s was lying beside the drain. The two had been beaten with sticks and brickbats. A case has been registered against unidentified persons under Sections 302 and 34 of the IPC,” said a Chinsurah police officer. An eyewitness, on condition of anonymity, said the neighbours had been irritated with Gopal over his lifestyle and habits.
“He would return in an inebriated state almost everyday. On October 21, he beat up his wife very badly. She then went to her father’s house with their daughter, leaving behind their two sons aged eight and 11 years. The two boys were sleeping inside the house when the incident happened,” said an eyewitness, adding the two had been beaten for over 30 minutes.
“Police, however, reached the spot around 6 in the morning and recovered the bodies. They had come nearly six hours after the incident, and on top of that, have failed to arrest anyone so far,” the eyewitness added.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The Chinsurah officer said they were trying to get statements from eyewitnesses, but everyone seemed to be trying to keep a safe distance from the incident. “It is strange that we don’t have any eyewitnesses inspite of the fact that two persons were beaten to death. The bodies have been sent for postmortem,” he added.