Kolkata: 4 of family sustain burns after oven catches fire

Four members of a family sustained severe burns while a baby was rescued unhurt when an oven caught fire and the blaze spread across their home on Monday.

By: Express News Service | Kolkata | Updated: December 7, 2016 12:01 am

Four members of a family sustained severe burns while a baby was rescued unhurt when an oven caught fire and the blaze spread across their home in Teghoria Mondal Para at VIP Road late on Monday.

Arun Kumar Naskar (60), his wife Purnima Naskar (56), their son Amit Naskar (35) and his wife Mina Naskar (30) have been admitted to R G Kar Hospital. Purnima, who sustained 90 per cent burns, is in critical condition, said police.

Watch what else is in the news

On Tuesday night, neighbours of the Naskar family were awakened by their screams, after which they rushed towards their apartment discovered the flames. They informed police and doused the fire. Miraculously, the youngest member of the family, a four-month-old baby who was sleeping in another room, was unhurt when rescued by locals.

“They all probably got injured in the process of saving one another. It wasn’t a case of cylinder blast since the cylinder which was recovered from the spot was undamaged,” said a police officer. How this incident took place is uncertain and we are investigating to find out the same.

“Prima facie, it was an accidental fire. Purnima has received 90 per cent burns and is critical. All four are under treatment at the hospital. No complaints have been received yet,” said Santosh Pandey, DC (Detective Department), Bidhannagar Police.

Video of the day

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results