Television actor Ronen Chakraborty, popularly known as Ronny, was on Saturday found dead under mysterious circumstances in a pond near his home in Kolkata. His body was recovered from a pond near his residence in Santoshpur.
This comes a month after another television actor, Disha Ganguly, committed suicide in Kolkata.
- Enteric outbreak: Bacteria in packaged drinking water, says Mayor
- West Midnapore extortion case: Arrest warrant against IPS officer Bharati Ghosh, her guard
- Marathi actor Praful Bhalerao dies in a train accident
- Four engineering students drown in pond in Andhra Pradesh
- IIM-Lucknow student found hanging in Nov: Kin write to PM Modi, allege ‘foul play’
- Hours before suicide, Disha transferred Rs 50,000: police
Chakraborty had returned to his residence around 1 am on Saturday and went for a swim in the nearby Survey Park pond. He was accompanied by his two friends. After sometime, the friends reportedly called up his father to inform that they cannot spot Chakraborty in the pond. Around 3 am, his body was fished out by divers.
Though Chakraborty’s relatives claimed that he was a good swimmer, the postmortem report revealed he had drowned. The report added that he suffered a cardiac arrest while swimming. “Water and mud were found in his stomach,” said a police officer.
Sources said that on Friday, like any usual day, Chakraborty had gone to the Technician Studio for shooting in the morning and returned home after working out in a gym. Around 10.30 pm, he had reportedly asked his family members if he needed to get food from outside to celebrate his parent’s wedding anniversary.
Chakraborty, who was featuring in two popular Bengali soaps — including Jol Nupur in Star Jalsha — is survived by his wife and a six-month-old daughter.
“An unnatural death case has been started. We are not ruling out any possibilities. All aspects will be investigated,” said a senior police officer.