Its not easy to comeback from the retirement and face 140 kph thunderbolts. Sourav Ganguly fumbled and was humbled during his 12-ball -1 run stay at the crease against Deccan Chargers at Newlands in Cape Town on Sunday.
It was an opportunity for him to prove his critics wrong. But he failed.
Kolkata waited in bated breath to see his innings. The fans wanted him to succeed against huge odds.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
He has done it before,several times.
The latest being at the same venue in a Test match against South Africa two years ago when he celebrated his return to the Indian team with a masterly 54 runs.
Today,however,he struggled against pace and perished while trying an ungainly swish against young Harmeet Singh.
Gangulys fans were hugely disappointed.
One of them,CAB joint-secretary Biswarup Dey,however,said: It was his first match after a long layoff. The conditions favoured the bowlers. Even (Brendon) McCullum and (Chris) Gayle struggled. I am sure he will be in his elements soon.
He,however,admitted that the Bengal southpaw has to get his act together very quickly,for he is unlikely to get a long rope.
Chief selector of the Bengal Ranji team Sambaran Banerjee too wanted to wait before jumping to a conclusion.
I wont say anything after just one innings. Its not easy to bat fluently coming back from a long break, Banerjee told The Indian Express.
But Kumble and Shane Warne played excellent cricket yesterday. They have also retired and came back from a long layoff,he added.
The drama and controversy that surrounded the Kolkata Knight Riders captaincy in the lead-up to the IPL 2 hasnt gone down well with the Ganguly
family. Some of his relatives had suggested him to chuck it and return to the greener pastures of Behala.
The former India skipperrefused to budge. Today,with prayer on their lips,Souravs wife and parents were glued to the TV screen. And they were disappointed.
Little Sana,Souravs daughter,was perhaps the only one in the family who did not seem perturbed with the situation.