For the first time in West Bengal, Police Medals and commendation awards were conferred to IPS officers and officials of various departments for their distinguished service by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Independence Day.
The Chief Minister’s Police Medal for Outstanding Service was conferred on Kolkata Police Commissioner Surojit Kar Purokayastha, Bidhannagar Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar and IGP Western Zone Siddhi Nath Gupta.
Chief Minister’s Police Medal for Commendable Service were conferred on Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Devendra Prakash Singh, Superintendent of Police, Burdwan district, S M H Meerza and Superintendent of Police, West Midnapore district, Bharati Ghosh.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The state government departments which received the award for commendable service were department for Rural and Panchayat development, women and child welfare, fianance, small scale industries, health and family welfare.
The district administration of Hoogly, Nadia, Burdwan and Birbhum were also conferred awards for commendable service.
People across West Bengal today celebrated the 68th Independence Day taking out colourful processions, organising parades and cultural programmes.
In Kolkata, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee unfurled the tricolour on Red Road and received a guard of honour from the Kolkata police.
Cultural programmes were held by school children and various artistes at the Red Road venue showcasing the cultural heritage of the country.
In the districts, political parties hoisted flags at party offices and organised cultural shows, some of which began from the previous night.
Security has been tightened in the metropolis and bordering districts of West Bengal for the occasion.