Abhijit Mukherjee, Congress candidate from Jangipur and son of President Pranab Mukherjee faced the wrath of angry villagers at Sabirpur in Raghunathgunj of Jangipur Tuesday over the issue of poor supply of drinking water and abysmal condition of roads in the village.
Mukherjee had to abandon the roadshow in that village and leave in a huff. He later moved to other areas of the constituency.
Contacted Murshidabad SP Syed Waqar Raza said he had not been informed about the incident and he would check about it. “I will have to see what actually had happened,” Raza told Indian Express over phone.
According to reports, as Mukherjee’s convoy reached Sabirpur village, an autorickshaw came in front of it from the other side. The Congress supporters, accompanying Mukherjee, allegedly dragged the autorickshaw driver out of his vehicle and thrashed him.
Soon, villagers, comprising mostly women, came in hordes and started a demonstration protesting against poor supply of drinking water as well as abysmal condition of roads. Mukherjee tried to reason with the demonstrators but failed and ultimately had to abandon the roadshow and leave the place.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Congress supporters however blamed the incident on CPM cadre who, they alleged, tried to sabotage the campaign. “Mukherjee is not panchayat pradhan. What can he do to repair roads and arrange for drinking water? That is the job of the pradhan. In fact, it is CPM that is trying to sabotage our campaign. But their designs will be defeated,’’ Akhrujaman, one of the poll managers of Mukherjee at Jangipur told Indian Express.
Last week too during a roadshow at Anantapur village of Jangipur, Mukherjee had to face angry villagers who demanded that the road from Berhampur to Anantapur be repaired or rebuilt.