Eight months after lodging an FIR, social activist Soma Mukherjee was arrested Wednesday for protesting outside the Writers’ Building against the gangrape and murder of a college girl at Kamduni village in North-24 Parganas district.
Soma, a member of APDR and Nari Chetana Mancha had led a delegation to the Writers on June 10, last yaer, a day after the victim was found raped and murdered.
The delegation wanted to meet Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and wanted to submit a deputation, but were stopped outside the secretariat building by police.
The FIR was lodged with the Hare Street police station on June 10 against 15 women activists who were demonstrating outside the Writers’. However, the women activists including Soma were not aware of the FIR until police submitted a chargesheet on January 3 against eight activists including Soma Mukherjee, Saswati Ghosh, Bolan Ganguly, Krishna Bandypadhyay, Soma Mukherjee, Joyeeta Das, Rupasree Sarkar, Anuradha Talwar and Rangta Munshi.
Mukherjee was picked from her residence at 10 am today. “A team of police personnel came to my residence and asked me to go with them. I refused to comply and hence they arrested me. I along with others thought of surrendering before the court and appeal for bail on February 21. I was never informed that a case was lodged. I came to know abut the case after police submitted the chargesheet stating I was absconding.”
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
Mukherjee was later granted bail. “Police slapped charges of inciting violence against us while we were maintaining a peaceful demonstration. This is a planned conspiracy against the women activists in the state. We will fight it legally,” she added.