The BJP today kicked off its poll campaign in West Bengal with a vow to take revenge for the alleged atrocities meted out to its workers by Trinamool Congress cadres during the recently concluded panchayat elections.
BJP workers were subjected to atrocities in Kerala and I have heard the same is being done to our people in Bengal as well, party general secretary Varun Gandhi,who is on a two-day visit to the state,said in Kolkata Monday.
He also reminded Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee that it was the BJP that had helped her in crisis.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
When Mamataji was deserted by the Congress,it was the BJP which took pity on her,and made her minister. And I want to remind Mamataji that she should not show vainglory. If atrocities continue,we will take revenge for every case of attack,every case of atrocity on our workers when the NDA comes to power at the Centre, said Varun in reference to the allocation of the Railway portfolio in the NDA government to Mamata in 1999.
The Trinamool Congress reacted sharply to his remarks.
Varun Gandhi is a political novice while Mamata Banerjee has reached this stature through a colossal struggle. What Varun says does not mean anything to the people of West Bengal, TMC MP Saugata Roy told The Indian Express from Delhi.
Varun,who is the party in-charge of the state,also told workers that the key main issue in the coming general elections was the respect and prestige of the country. This country should not go to wrong hands,those who are not capable of upholding the respect of the country should not be voted to power. said Varun,who had triggered a controversy in March 2009 by openly criticising Muslims [Amanullah,Mazarullah kya darawane naam hai (how dreaded these names sound).
Today,however,he said India belonged to both Ram and Rahim.
BJP is not against any religion. Both Ram and Rahim should get equal justice. But for the sake of votebank,no political party should appease a particular community, he said.
Varun ,who urged party workers to visit villagers and stand by them in times of distress,said he would come again and visit some villages of Bengal. You do not get votes by just criticising Mamata Banerjee or the Left. In Bengal,every year floods ravage villages,go there and stand by people through thick and thin. I will come again,not as a laatsaab,but as a common man and stay in the house of a villager.
Present on the dias were partys other general secretaries Siddharth Nath Singh and Ram Lal as well as the top brass of the state BJP,including state president Rahul Sinha,former state presidents Tapan Sikder,Satyabrata Mukherjee,Asim Ghosh,Tathagata Roy and other leaders of the party.
Varun will go to Singur tomorrow morning and interact with farmers there.