Some of the iconic structures in Kolkata, including the Howrah Bridge, would go semi-dark for an hour tomorrow to support conservation of energy under the Earth Hour campaign.
Between 8:30 pm and 9:30 pm on Saturday, all ornamental lights would be switched off at the famous Howrah Bridge and the Vidyasagar Setu across the Hooghly river in Kolkata, the organisers said.
Earth Hour is an environmental campaign where citizens around the world show their support for action on climate change by turning off non-essential lights for an hour.
ITC Sonar Hotel will also turn off lights and use candles instead, apart from other organisations.
Officials of the environmental NGO WWF, which has initiated the global campaign of Earth Hour, said hotels in the coastal township of Digha are also participating as they would also switch off lights.
Ravi Singh, secretary general and CEO of WWF-India said, “Earth Hour is a movement that unifies people nationwide to express their concern over the global crisis of climate change”.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review