After a year of the devastating fire at Nandaram market in Burrabazar,where all fire norms were flouted,Sri Kshetra Mohan Oil Mill,another four-storey building at 67/42,Strand Road in Posta,was gutted around 3 am on Tuesday. Twenty-five fire tenders were pressed into service to bring the blaze under control.
The Fire and Emergency Services Department has filed an FIR against the owner of the building,Gyaneshwar Misra,with the Jorabagan police station. The owner,however,is absconding.
Around 15 people,including four kids,were inside the building when the fire broke out. Eight people were trapped inside and the firefighters rescued them after the flames reached the top floor. The building is part residential and part commercial unit. Initial investigation reveals gunny bags,LPG cylinders,drums containing diesel and oil were stored in the building. The roof of the top floor was blown away when one of the gas cylinders exploded. There were four residential units with air-conditioners installed.
The building did not have any firefighting equipment. A lot of inflammable materials were stored in it. The building is meant for commercial use as it houses an oil mill and its storehouse. I dont know how four residential units were set up there. It seems that the building is illegal and the owner is a violator of the Fire Services Act. Prompt action will be taken against the offender, said Jogesh Chatterjee,Diector-General,Fire and Emergency Services.
Mayor Bikash Ranjan Bhattacharya,however,seemed to be clueless about the status of the building.
We have to check our records to confirm whether the building was legal or not. After getting the forensic report,we can start a demolition case if the building is an illegal one, said Bhattacharya.
Meanwhile,Legislator Sudip Bandyopdhya,who visited the site,said that after the Nandaram market fire incident no master plan or report on the incident has been submitted in the Assembly.
Meanwhile,another fire broke out in the Lake Market which is under construction. Ten fire tenders reached the spot to control the fire. A jute cover caught fire after coming in contact with a welding machine. It was an accident. During construction such accidents usually happen, said a civic body official.