Four students of St Xavier’s School in Konnagar drowned on Monday morning when they had gone to take a bath at the Konnagar Baromandir Ghat of river Ganga, police said. Around 10 am, five students had gone to the ghat after a round of football match at the adjoining ground. With high tide setting in, two of them slipped and were swept away by the current. Two others jumped in but they too drowned, added the officer.
With Konnagar Municipality being in the vicinity, officials rushed to the spot. They were later joined by senior police officials, including the district’s additional SP. A disaster management team from Kolkata too went there. After about an hour, bodies of Kishan Raut and Dipanjan Bhattacharya were fished out with search operation still on to find the two others, Abhishek Chatterjee and Soumyadeep Ganguly.
“The boys were aged between 18 and 19 years. They went to a tuition class together and then played football before going for a dip. Their family members have been informed. Six divers are looking for the two reportedly missing,” said a senior official with the Uttarpara police station.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations