Citing effective local administration, the Mamata Banerjee led Trinamool Congress government Monday approved constitution of four new municipal corporations in the North and South 24-Parganas, while including a few municipalities and adjoining areas within the jurisdiction of three other civic bodies in the state.
“A number of small municipalities have hardly any work to perform and thus a decision has been taken in principle to merge some of them creating new municipal corporations with a mega city population of at least ten lakh for effective local administration,” Mamata said, announcing the decision after a cabinet meeting she chaired at Nabanna.
“The state government is promoting Public-Private-Partnerships (PPP) for creation of infrastructure,” Mamata said adding “experience in the urban space has not been very encouraging as small municipalities do not provide the scale needed for making these projects financially viable.”
Elaborating the constitution of the new civic bodies, Mamata said the first municipal corporation would comprise Rajarhat-Gopalpur, Barasat, Madhyamgram and new Barrackpore and adjoining areas in North 24-Parganas with its headquarters at Barasat.
The second civic body would comprise the municipalities of Baranagar, Kamarhati, Khardah, Panihati, Dum Dum, North Dum Dum, South Dum Dum and adjoining local areas, also in the North 24-Parganas, with its headquarters at Dum Dum.
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
The third civic body would comprise the municipalities of Titagarh, Barrackpore, North Barrackpore, Bhatpara, Garulia, Naihati, Kanchrapara and Halisahar and adjoining rural areas in the North 24-Parganas with its headquarters at Barrackpore.
The fourth one would comprise Pujali, Maheshtala, Budge Budge, Amtala Town and adjoining areas in South 24-Parganas with headquarters at Maheshtala, she said.
Besides, Bally municipality has been included within the jurisdiction of Howrah Municipal Corporation. Also the municipalities of Bansberia, Hooghly-Chinsurah, Bhadreswar, Champdani, Baidyabati, Serampore, Rishra, Konnagar and Uttarpara-Kotrang have been included with Chandernagore Municipal Corporation with its headquarters at Serampore.
Finally, the municipalities of Kulti, Raniganj and Jamuria have been included with the Asansol Municipal Corporation, Mamata said.
Even as the proposal for merger of Bidhannagar municipality with the Kolkata Municipal Corporation was mooted in the meeting, the CM kept the issue aside for now saying that the state government would take the opinion of people in Bidhannagar before taking any such decision.