Two persons were killed and eight injured when a crude bomb they were making exploded at Kusumgaria village under Labhpur police station in Birbhum district Monday, the police said.
The explosion blew away a part of the tin roof of the house, belonging to Ismail Sheikh, a local Trinamool Congress leader, Birbhum SP Rashid Munir Khan said. The deceased have been identified as Sheikh Hasem, resident of Kajipara, and Sheikh Borjahan, who lived in Dwarka.
The incident took place when the duo were making crude bombs allegedly with the help of experts brought in from the adjacent areas. Sources said the bombs were to be used during the polls. Birbum goes to poll on April 30.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The blast was so strong that a motor cycle kept near the affected house fell into a nearby pond. It was later fished out by the police. Parts of the human body were also seen strewn all over the place.
Senior police official including additional SP Ananda Roy and officials of the bomb disposal squad reached the spot. Police sources said that the bodies were found in a field, about 200 metres away from the place of incident. “It was not possible that the bodies got blown away to that place. It clearly indicates that the bodies were being whisked away but as we arrived, they were dumped in the field,” said a senior police official.
“We are carrying out raids to find out if there were other bodies but so far we have found nothing,” Roy said.
He also said that the bombs were being made inside a cow shed behind Sheikh Ismail’s house. “There were no one at his house. There has been no arrests so far,” he said.
Political blame game had already started after the event. “The house belonged to a TMC worker and those who were making the bomb also belonged to the TMC. It shows that they are preparing to unleash terror during the polling,” said a senior CPM leader.
TMC district president, Anubrata Mondal, however, said, “Ismail is a Forward Bloc supporter. The TMC has nothing to do with him.”