Saturday, Nov 01, 2014

Encephalitis: Three more deaths, toll reaches 140

Express News Service | Kolkata | Posted: August 7, 2014 5:38 am

Three more deaths due to Encephalitis were reported in the last 24 hours from North Bengal Medical College and Hospital.

With the disease claiming two lives in south Bengal and three more in north Bengal, death toll due to both Acute Encephalitis Syndrome and Japanese Encephalitis reached 140 on Wednesday.

According to health department sources, 34 patients with Encephalitis infection are now admitted to the North Bengal Medical College and Hospital. Seven of these 34 patients are critical, said a senior health official from the hospital.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee is said to have expressed her ‘displeasure’ over the Centre’s role in controlling the outbreak in Bengal.

A senior cabinet minister pleading anonymity said,”We were kept in dark about the outbreak of the disease in Assam, despite the fact that we are a neighbouring state.

“We should have been alerted by the Centre, following which the state government would have taken control measures. However, following the outbreak here, the state government has worked with much efficiency and it is under control now. But, the chief minister is very angry with Centre’s role.”

Notably, Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan recently claimed to have written two letters to Mamata, offering central assistance to the state to contain the outbreak. The minister also said that none of the letters had been replied.

Significantly, Harsh Vardhan is likely to visit north Bengal. Vardhan has said that he would review the situation in the region next week and decide on his visit.

comments powered by Disqus
Featured ad: Discount Shopping

Most Popular