* The Rs 4,875 crore East West Metro Corridor project is funded by equity and subordinate debts from the Centre and the state government,with term debt of Rs 2,253 crore from Japan International Co-operation agency (JICA). The Metro corridor from Bidhan Nagar Sector V to Howrah Maidan will have 12 stations, six on elevated platforms and the others underground.
* The corridor will cross river Hooghly at a depth of 32 feet,first of its kind in the country.
* Nearly 23,000 passengers will use it everyday and the figure is expected to increase to 5 lakh by 2020. The order for constructing the elevated portion of 5.77 km was issued to Gammon India Ltd on February 20, 2009, state Transport Secretary Sumantra chowdhury said.
* Work for the elevated portion will begin in the next 15 days and contract for the underground part will be awarded by the end of this year.
* The first phase from Sector V to Sealdah is likely to be completed by 2012 and the project will be over by 2014.
* Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee said the project also involved rehabilitation of nearly 500 people displaced because of the corridor.