TWO PERSONS were killed and eight injured in a head-on collision between two trucks on the Durgapur Express highway in Singur on Monday morning. The accident took place around 8 am when the driver of a truck lost control of the vehicle and collided with another truck coming from the opposite side.
The deceased have been identified as Basant Pramanik (44) and Sujat Ali (42) — both residents of Hooghly district. Police said both had received head injuries and were declared brought dead on arrival when taken to a hospital. The bodies have been sent for postmortem.
The injured were taken to the Singur Rural Hospital. “Among the eight injured, five were critical and have been referred to Kolkata,” said a police officer.
The accident comes days after Trinamool Congress MP and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew Abhishek Banerjee sustained injuries when his vehicle met with an accident on the same highway.
Following the accident, the government had decided to revamp the traffic system on highways. A high-level meeting has been held to identify accident-prone zones, install speed breakers at important crossings and crucial turns and keep extra vigil on the highways round the clock.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016