A MAN, who had identified himself as a senior Jharkhand Police officer and caught a Trinamool Congress leader escaping after hitting a pedestrian, has been arrested for allegedly posing as an IPS officer and extorting money. Somen Kumar Suryabangshi (29) was arrested from his flat at China Height in Baguihati’s Chinar Park late Thursday night after Trinamool Chhatra Parishad General Secretary Kanishka Majumdar, whom he had handed over to the police, lodged a complaint.
In February, Majumdar was arrested after his vehicle, which he was allegedly driving, ran over a pedestrian. A police car with orange beacon went on to follow him and arrest Majumdar on Bijan Sethu when he was trying to flee. The man in the police car had then introduced himself as an IPS officer posted in Bokaro. Based on the statement he had given as the ASP of Bokaro, Mazumdar was booked under sections 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life), 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life), 279 (rash driving) and 427 (mischief causing damage to the amount of fifty rupees) of the IPC. He was granted bail under the Motor Vehicles Act when produced at a local court.
However, police were suspicious about identity of the IPS officer since Majumdar had alleged the ASP had asked for money from him. “Later, others too complained that Somen had been extorting money from locals and clubs… When contacted, Bokaro police denied having anybody as an ASP. During our investigation, we found that the accused has been cheating people posing as an IPS officer, and till date he has collected lakhs of rupees,” a police officer said.
Earlier this month, Majumdar lodged a complaint questioning Suryabangshi’s identity as an IPS officer, said police.
Following this, Suryabangshi was booked under sections 170 (personating a public servant), 171 (Wearing garb used by public servant with fraudulent intent) and 419 (punishment for cheating by personation) of the IPC.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Several fake identity cards depicting Suryabangshi as an “IPS officer” and a vehicle with number plate “identifying” him an a senior Jharkand Police officer have been seized, police said.