Bihar Governor D Y Patil Friday took oath as Governor of West Bengal on additional charge after incumbent M K Narayanan demitted office earlier in the day. Patil was administered the oath of office by seniormost judge of Calcutta High Court Justice A K Banerjee.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was present on the occasion at the majestic Raj Bhavan here along with senior colleagues in her Cabinet. Speaker Biman Banerjee, leader of Opposition Surjyakanta Mishra and several diplomats were also present.
The chief minister exchanged pleasantries with the new Governor and presented him with a flower bouquet following the brief ceremony.
They then joined for tea along with several dignitaries, where Patil and Banerjee interacted for nearly half-an-hour.
Talking to reporters later, Banerjee said “I know him (Patil) for long, nice that he has come. Swagatam.” Earlier in the day, M K Narayanan demitted office and left for Chennai along with his wife Padmini.
Narayanan was given a guard of honour by the Kolkata Police’s Mounted Police Division. He had taken over as West Bengal’s 24th Governor on January 24, 2010.
Narayanan’s resignation as West Bengal Governor was accepted by President Pranab Mukherjee yesterday and D Y Patil was asked to hold additional charge of the post as interim arrangement. Narayanan resigned on June 30, becoming the fourth Governor appointed during UPA rule to put in his papers after the NDA government prodded some of those Governors to quit.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More