Bitter spat between the Trinamool Congress and the Congress over the venue of the workers’ meet of Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi in Kolkata Thursday ended with the party getting the permission to use Shahid Minar Maidan.
“Rahul is addressing the meet on March 25,” PCC chief Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury told The Indian Express. Due to the ongoing ICSE and CBSE examinations, instead of rallies, parties are organising workers’ meets. Mamata has addressed four such meets so far. Thursday, she addressed one such meet at Lalbagh in Murshidabad from where Chowdhury had been thrice.
The Congress had first sought permission from the Kolkata Municipal Corporation to use Park Circus Maidan for the Rahul meet but its request was rejected citing the presence of Lady Brabourne College and Chittaranjan Medical college in the vicinity. The Congress is said to have sent two letters to the KMC in this regard.
The party then wanted to hold the meet at Netaji Indoor Stadium, which, too, was denied by the state government.
“The Trinamool Congress government’s denial of permission to hold the event is a clear instance political vendetta,” Somen Mitra, senior party leader and a former PCC president, told The Indian Express.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
This is the first major election meet that the Congress is organising in the state. BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi had held a rally on February 5 at the Brigade Parade Ground in Kolkata.