The Congress Friday cleared 17 names, including six sitting MPs, in its first list of Lok Sabha candidates for West Bengal. The names will be declares soon, a senior Congress leader said, adding the remaining 25 names for the state will be finalised on March 12.
As per the party sources, Somen Mitra, who became the first Congress candidate to be selected through primaries, will be fielded from the North Kolkata constituency. Mitra, who returned to the Congress in January, had contested and won the 2009 election as Trinamool Congress candidate from Diamond Harbour constituency.
Others in the list include Union minister of state for Railways and PCC chief Adhir Ranjan Choudhury, Union minister Deepa Dasmunshi, Mousam Benazir Noor, Sukhvilas Verma and President Pranab Mukhwrjee’s son Abhijeet Mukherjee.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
While the party has decided that senior leaders such as Abdul Mannan and Manas Bhuniya would contest the election, former PCC chief Pradip Bhattacharya won’t due to old age and ill health, said a leader. Among the new faces, Samir Aich, an artist who belonged to intellectual cell of the TMC, is likely to be fielded as Congress candidate from Jadavpur constituency. Senior Congress leader Asit Mitra will be fielded from Uluberia while Keshab Roy is likely to get ticket for Coochbehar constituency.
PCC general secretary Omprakash Mishra might be fielded from Balurghat constituency while Nepal Mahato is likely to contest from Purulia.
The sitting MPs will be repeated from their seats.
PCC chief Adhir Choudhury said, Congress traditionally releases the names late. “We have a very long process of getting sanction for the candidates. Today 17 names have been cleared. Rest of the
25 candidates would be screened by central election committee and then the list will be released. However, we have included the sitting MPs in the list.”