State Congress workers have warned there will be mass resignations if Sujoy Ghatak’s candidature is not withdrawn from Darjeeling seat for the coming polls. District presidents of Mahila Congress, Youth Congress, INTUC and Chhatra Parishad have written to state Congress president conveying their sentiments. “We are hurt by the way our suggestions have been ignored. It will be impossible to campaign for a candidate who is not our favourite,” a senior Mahila Congress member said.
Darjeeling MLA Shankar Malakar conceded there was resentment among party workers, but termed it temporary. “I can’t deny there had been no problems post nomination, but it’s a passing phase. There will always be disagreement among a section of party members, but I am sure they will settle and start campaigning for the candidate,” he said.
Newly-elected state Congress president and rail minister Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury was stern on the party’s stand and said those who don’t agree were free to quit. “So what if there is resentment? Those who are unhappy are free to quit, but they should not think the party will give in to their threats,” he said.
Ghatak, however, brushed aside talks of resentments in the party. “There is not an ounce of truth. I am in touch with the Youth Congress and the Mahila Congress members and they have no issues with my candidature.”
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen