Welcoming dissident Trinamool Congress MP Somen Mitra’s resignation from Lok Sabha, Congress Wednesday said the party will be happy to take him back to its fold and also consider giving him a ticket to contest general elections from West Bengal.
“We welcome Somen Mitra’s resignation as MP and also welcome him back to Congress. We will surely consider giving him a party ticket to contest the Lok Sabha elections,” state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya told PTI. Mitra, whose relations were strained with the Trinamool Congress leadership, Wednesday resigned as MP of the Diamond Harbour Lok Sabha constituency. In the past few months, Mitra had fired several salvos against the TMC leadership and the state government.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
AICC general secretary Shakeel Ahmed too welcomed his move and said Mitra has been the state Congress president in the past and was a respected leader. “Somen Mitra is a senior and respected leader. But, whether he will join Congress or not, will be decided by our party high command and the state Congress president,” Ahmed said.
Mitra, who has been state PCC president, left the party to form his own outfit in 2007, but merged with the Trinamool Congress in 2008 and contested from Diamond Harbour on a TMC ticket.