Welcoming dissident Trinamool Congress MP Somen Mitra’s resignation from Lok Sabha, Congress Wednesday said the party will be happy to take him back to its fold and also consider giving him a ticket to contest general elections from West Bengal.
“We welcome Somen Mitra’s resignation as MP and also welcome him back to Congress. We will surely consider giving him a party ticket to contest the Lok Sabha elections,” state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya told PTI. Mitra, whose relations were strained with the Trinamool Congress leadership, Wednesday resigned as MP of the Diamond Harbour Lok Sabha constituency. In the past few months, Mitra had fired several salvos against the TMC leadership and the state government.
AICC general secretary Shakeel Ahmed too welcomed his move and said Mitra has been the state Congress president in the past and was a respected leader. “Somen Mitra is a senior and respected leader. But, whether he will join Congress or not, will be decided by our party high command and the state Congress president,” Ahmed said.
Mitra, who has been state PCC president, left the party to form his own outfit in 2007, but merged with the Trinamool Congress in 2008 and contested from Diamond Harbour on a TMC ticket.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More