As 450 families of tea garden workers from Bijonbari and Singla region in Darjeeling today left the Trinamool Congress to join the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, the latter’s president, Bimal Gurung, took the opportunity to level the ruling party as the “most corrupt I have ever seen” even as he termed “torture and extortion by the TMC” as reasons behind the workers’ switch-over.
Ranjit Alley, TMC’s Bijonbari block secretary, joined as Morcha’s central committee member, alleging “TMC leaders have constantly extorted money. For getting a government job, the villagers were asked to deposit Rs 4 lakh at party office. To get ration cards, too, they had to pay money. We believed in (CM) Mamata Banerjee and therefore repeatedly requested North Bengal Development Minister (Gautam Deb) to remove tainted TMC leader Nirmal Singh. But no action was taken. For the sake of people in my area, I have joined the Morcha”.
Similarly, other members who joined the Morcha claimed they have been extorted by local TMC leaders.
TMC district president Chawng Bhutia, however, said: “We have been informed that some of our men have joined Morcha and have slapped allegations against our party. We will inquire into the matter.” After attending a meet at GJM office, Gurung said: “TMC is a corrupt party. I have seen many political parties in my political career. But I have never seen such a (corrupt) party.”
Reacting to Gurung’s comment, Deb said: “Mamata Banerjee is symbol of honesty and her integrity is beyond doubt. She and her party do not need Gurung’s certificate. We are not giving any importance to Gurung and his party now. They have lost ground in the hills. We are considering filing a defamation case against him.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
He added: “For how many years has Gurung been in politics? How many parties has he seen? And he dared to say TMC is corrupt. We will appoint auditors to audit the GTA and we will see how transparent Gurung is.”
On TMC leaders and villagers joining the Morcha, Deb said: “We are not worried about them. Gurung has succeeded in buying some. But he cannot buy all of them.”
Significantly, Deb and TMC Darjeeling candidate, footballer Baichung Bhutia, held a meeting recently in Bijonbari and Singla, respectively.