After two terms as Rajya Sabha member, Editor of Pioneer and a BJP national executive member, Chandan Mitra has been nominated for the Lok Sabha contest from Hooghly constituency.
Mitra’s name was announced by BJP’s central parliamentary board Saturday along with 16 others for West Bengal which included a number of celebrities and a former IPS officer.
With this list, the West Bengal BJP has till now announced 34 names out of 42 seats. The second list today included yet another set of celebrities including singer Babool Supriyo from Asansol seat, R K Handa ( retd) IPS from Barrackpore, Joy Banerjee from Birbhum seat.
Chandan Mitra’s induction into West Bengal’s ground politics is being viewed by the state BJP leaders as a real morale booster. “Mitra is a national name and by nominating him from West Bengal along with celebrities like Babool Supriyo, (Asansol seat) Nimoo Bhowmik,( Raigunj seat) the central leadership has displayed how seriously they were viewing the contest in West Bengal,” said Amal Chatterjee – a senior state BJP leader.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
BJP sources said Mitra is originally from a place called Babuganj in Hooghly. He did his early education there and as a national executive member of BJP earlier, Mitra had been a “Probhari” (Observer) for West Bengal. Now he holds charge of Orissa.
Mitra will be pitted against Dr Ratna De Nag of TMC – a sitting MP. The Congress is yet to announce its candidate for Hooghly.
In the second list of nominations, the BJP has included a large number of hardcore party workers and leaders from different segment. For instance, in Jhargram seat, the party nominated the BJP’s state Scheduled Tribe Morcha president — Bikash Mudi, in Midnapore – Prabhakar Tiwari — a state BJP vice-president, in Burdwan (East) Santosh Roy – the BJP district president, D Choudhury – a state secretariat member of BJP form Burdwan ( Durgapur ).
One of party’s young and promising candidates, Shamik Bhattacharjee has been fielded from Basirhat seat. Significantly, there is sharp communal polarization in this seat as the place has witnessed frequent flare ups between Hindus and Muslims over various issues and most other parties have fielded Muslim candidates.
Another significant induction was K D Biswas who is a secretary of the Matua Mahasangh — a sect representing a large number of backward communities. K D Biswas has been given nomination form Bongaon — a seat where the backward communities are said to constitute almost 60 pc of the electorate.
Meanwhile, the BJP is said to be working hard towards arriving at an electoral understanding with the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha after TMC earned its wrath having unilaterally nominated Baichung Bhutia form Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat.