The CBI Tuesday caught red-handed the director (finance) of National Jute Manufacturers’ Corporation Limited from his office in Kolkata while receiving a bribe of Rs 10,000 from a contractor for clearing bills for machine repairs.
“We have arrested Yogesh Kumar Garg, the director (finance) of NJMC while accepting bribe of Rs 10000 from a contractor for clearing bills of repair of jute machine,” CBI’s chief information officer Kanchan Prasad told The Indian Express.
Sources said, CBI had earlier received some complaints against Garg and he was under the agency’s observation. Based on specific information about the alleged bribe exchange, a special team of CBI Tuesday conducted a raid at the NJMC’s Dalhousie Square area office and arrested Garg.
The CBI sleuths also seized several documents from his office. According to sources, the agency has already traced 20 bank accounts of Garg, following which it conducted raids at several places, including Garg’s houses in Lucknow, Delhi and Kolkata.
The CBI had earlier received several complaints against Garg, including issuing tenders to certain contractors without following norms and misappropriation of funds which were meant for modernising six jute mills under the NJMC in West Bengal and Bihar.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The six jute mills under the NJMC, a PSU, include National Company Limited, Alexandra Jute Mills Limited, Union Jute Company Limited, Khardah Company Limited, The Kinnison Jute Mills Company Limited and the RBHM Jute Mills Pvt. Limited.
The arrest of Garg, a board member of the NJMC, has come as a shock for the crisis-ridden jute sector. Last week, the workers had lynched the CEO of Northbrook jute mill in Hooghlyafter he refused to accept their demand for an increase in the weekly working hours so that they are paid more.
Since the lynching, at least three jute mills have issued suspension of work notices.